Often for one reason or another, your family may be stuck indoors. Physical activity does not need to be compromised. You don’t have to have a home gym for your child to stay active during rainy, cold, and snowy months? There are plenty of places to take your child when cabin fever sets in and fun activities that you can do in your own home. Always try to make the activity a fun family time. After all, playing with your kids is great for you to keep in shape too!
Try these indoor options.
Check out your local YMCA, gym, or fitness center for calorie-burning fun activities that they offer kids like gymnastics, indoor basketball, wrestling, kickboxing, martial arts, wall-climbing, track, badminton, volleyball, ping pong, swimming, racquetball, and tennis. You could even get your own workout while waiting.
A great way to burn calories in a variety of classes including ballet, tap, modern, jazz, hip-hop, line dancing, ballroom dancing, yoga, free movement classes, and other music/dance combination classes.
Ice-skating, roller-skating, inline-skating can fill hours of fun without even realizing you’ve workout.
They exist in most cities, and provide interesting, educational, and fun activities that keep your kid on the move! Indoor nature centers or aquariums offer similar movement opportunities.
Restaurants with Games:
They’re all over. Choose restaurants that offer the greatest energy burners, including laser tag and other fast-paced activities. Most have salad bars, so plan on light meals. Another great option is to create an Activity/Play Room in your house, where you set up areas for your child to try different activities.
– A plastic tub filled with costumes, dress-up clothes, and accessories like crowns, wands, toy shields, armor, masks, vests, belts, shoes, hats, grass skirts, scarves, play jewelry, wigs…
– Boom box with dance music tapes or CDs to have family dance parties
– Build a tent and have a living room camping trip.
– Hopscotch mat, action games like Twister, Charades, Simon Says, Follow the leader
– Paddle balls, indoor ball toss games, bean bags, juggling balls, hacky sack
– Indoor basketball hoop and soft foam balls
– Jump ropes, skip-it, small kid-safe hand weights, exercise stretch bands.
– Try household cleaning with items such as brooms, mops, vacuum cleaners, feather dusters. You would be surprised how many kids love to clean!
– Do the TV commercial boogie whenever the ads come on. You’ll be amazed at how much moving you’ll do to the soundtracks of those endless commercials! And be sure to engage in collective booing when junk-food ads fill the screen.